Location: West Concord, Massachusetts
It is the responsibility of the Assistant Branch Manager I to represent Middlesex Savings Bank to the public and to their employees, and to promote the Bank's core values and mission. They accomplish this by focusing on the customer experience, development of staff, achievement of operational excellence, achievement of performance goals, solid decision making, and a commitment to the success of the Bank and of their team. The Assistant Branch Manager I assists the Branch Manager in overseeing a small or medium size branch, ensuring that the branch functions in an effective and efficient fashion. They oversee branch staff and assist in the scheduling, coordination, and delegation of work assignments; support branch service and sales goals, conduct a wide array of customer transactions, and deepen customer relationships by recommending products and services as appropriate.
- Customer Experience - Responsible for assisting the Branch Manager to oversee the experience of customers within the branch. Develops an understanding of customers' needs and expectations, ensures that products and services are offered that address those needs and expectations and ensures that staff do the same. Develops new business by establishing and growing customer relationships and ensuring staff do the same, including utilization of business partners as appropriate. The Assistant Manager I is familiar with communication styles and is able to adapt to different styles. They are able to use their skills to perform complex service recovery as needed.
- Staff & Team Development - Develops staff skills and expertise by setting clear expectations, objectively assessing competencies, including performance evaluations, and holding staff accountable. The Assistant Manager I is competent with coaching techniques and uses them to help develop the branch staff and their skills. Assists the Branch Manager in taking constructive action and handling difficult employee situations, collaborating with HR appropriately.
- Operational Excellence - Ensures quality and accuracy of work, and assists the Branch Manager in executing branch controls in an effective and timely manner. Balances risk mitigation and procedural accuracy with the customer experience; makes exceptions appropriately. Ensures staff demonstrate operational expertise and understanding of policies, procedures and risks. Assists the Branch Manager in utilizing tools to monitor staffing levels and increase efficiency as appropriate while maintaining service levels. They are able to support the staff with operational questions and issues, such as complex wire approvals, troubleshooting of recyclers and ATMs, etc. Performs all duties in accordance with prescribed compliance, security and risk protocols. Maintains proficiency in regulatory compliance and industry developments and apprises staff of same. Complies with all Bank policies including those pertaining to confidentiality, email, and others. Maintains primary responsibility for vault cash, including cash orders and shipments, and the accuracy thereof. Ensures adherence to security and audit related protocols, including cash audits.
- Influence & Credibility - Leads by example as an active part of the branch team. Performs the functions of a Branch Manager in the Branch Manager's absence, as appropriate. Performs the functions of a Senior Banker and Banker as necessary and appropriate. Takes personal ownership and accountability for their performance and that of their team. The Assistant Manager I participates in teambuilding efforts, staff meetings, etc. Follows through on tasks and assignments; manages time and priorities effectively and demonstrates flexibility. Expresses ideas well and clearly; uses professional written, verbal and electronic communications. Fosters relationships within the branch community and keeps branch manager apprised of relevant events or opportunities. Volunteers at Bank events as appropriate.
- Decision Making - Makes decisions dependably and consistently in alignment with the values and standards of the Bank. Focuses on performance and development goals and uses planning to drive results. Draws on knowledge, experience and insights and recommends solutions when raising problems or issues.
- Miscellaneous - Performs functions, within scope of authority and expertise, to provide the highest level of service and responsiveness to customers and co-workers. Assists the Branch Manager with overseeing the branch facility. Performs other related and unrelated duties as required.
- Associate's Degree or its equivalent is Required
- Bachelor's Degree is Preferred
- 3+ years of Banker experience or similar customer service related position within banking is Required
- Some supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Must possess knowledge of basic math principles and be able to perform basic mathematical procedures.
- Demonstrated customer service, sales, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess strong attention to detail.
- Must possess at least intermediate technology skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Must demonstrate initiative and ability to make decisions independently.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of bank and branch security procedures.
- Must be able to work extended and weekend hours.
- Scheduling and work location flexibility required.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 25 pounds.
Licenses and Certifications
- Must attain designation of Notary Public within 6 months. Required